Korogocho Community Justice Centre
Korogocho Community Justice Centre (KCJCN) was established by a group of human rights defender who ware also trained paralegals and working in korogocho. This was done after need assessment conducted by the organizations working in korogocho. It was facilitated by St John Catholic Church led by Fr john Webootsa who participated in bringing the paralegal to gather in collaborated with international justice mission. Kituo cha sheria, chief justice Dr Willy Mutunga and other like minded organizations. after the assessment, it was realized that there ware a lot of injustices which ware going un punished either because of poverty which leads to high cost of contracting a lawyer or ignorance and luck of knowledge on the basic rights., so the center came as a recognition to the marginalized members of the community through a unique approach to realize application and administration of the law, the center effectively became the first justice center in korogocho providing legal advise , and awareness creation through education-based on matters of legal education ,forced migration, advocacy, government and community partnership on legal matters. This is done by documentation and reporting .since its establishment, the center has handled almost 850 cases ranging from labour, accidents, child abuse /defilement /rape, housing. Land, police abuse and any other human rights violation the center has also hosted a lot of activities related to legal issues and awareness creation. The paralegals involved in the center have also been participating in observing general elections.
KCJCN aims to be a reputable organization in promoting human rights protection and enhance access to justice for all.
KCJCN mission is to actively contribute to human rights movement by creating and maintaining community participation in promoting human rights protection.
KCJCN’s goal is to have a citizen with knowledge in human rights and legal procedures towards creating an equitable and a just environment for human dignity.
So far tremendous achievements have been realized in korogocho, it has brought the justice closer to the people. It has worked closely to the partners such as kituo cha sheria. International justice mission, kutoka network, Umande Trust under the umbrella of St John Catholic Church many people have benefited from the free legal aid and alternative despute resolution which is a key factor in peace building.
The organization comprises of the coordinator as the head of the organizations who is also the secretary, chairman and the treasurer.
The executive committee consists of the above officials and other three trained paralegals which seats in the decision making alternative dispute resolution panel. There are also nine (9) representatives from the nine villages of korogocho
- To support, protect and promote to human rights movement in korogocho and Kenya at large as per the constitution.
- To promote adherence to the rule of the law and legal awareness.
- To support, develop initiatives within the community and protects the environment.
- To empower members of the community on good health procedures and promote self sustaining initiatives and to enhance their ability to access justice through public procedure system.
- To create long term partnership with like-minded organization for the benefit of the community.
In consideration that St. john’s Catholic church which is based in Korogocho Community and has the history of doing justice, is therefore well placed to be the one stop centre for referrals on matters of justice and to be the host of the activities and also Father in charge to be the patron.
In order to realize objectives of the Justice Center, the network galvanizes Governance, Human Rights and Health Programs and its activities are but not limited to Research, Advocacy and Networking on and for the Activities are therefore summarised as;
- Hosting for community leaders’ justice planning and review meetings
- Hosting a referral centre for community members who are still not conversant with the public justice procedures.
- Provide Venue for training on justice issues
- Venue for 1st rescue and support to victims of justice.
- Venue for all community justice activities such as awareness creation, sensitization, all forms of education, rescue and prevention-casework referrals.
- Platform for community to make social and political demands.
- Resource Centre for justice related activities both in material and personnel
1. Korogocho community justice centre
2. International justice mission
3. Kituo cha sheria
4. Kutoka network
5. Catholic justice and peace commission
6. Amani Mashinani
7. Napenda Kuishi trust
9. Miss Koch initiative
10. Koch FM
11. Farah community centre
12. Ujamaa trust
13. Child peace Africa
14. Resident committee korogocho
15. Blue cross
16. Muungano wa Wanavijiji
17. Youth congress
18. Legal research foundation
21. Village elders