Kituo Cha Sheria (KITUO) is a Non Governmental Organization (NGO) whose mission is to empower the poor and marginalized people to effectively access justice and realize their human and people’s rights through advocacy, networking, lobbying, legal aid and education, legal representation and research. KITUO seeks to recruit, in the Forced Migration Program, dynamic, self driven and result oriented persons for the following TWO (2) positions:-
- LEGAL/ PROGRAM OFFICER (Ref: KCS/LPO-NRB/APP)
Reporting to the Coordinator Forced Migration Program, he/she will carry out the following:
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
- Conduct community mobile legal aid clinics.
- Conduct community sensitisation campaigns.
- Conduct research that enables KITUO to built evidence base that informs litigation strategies.
- Legal awareness and education to refugees and asylum seekers in protection matters.
- Responsible for counselling and sensitising refugee communities on building a factual basis for their cases.
- Helping refugee communities to develop capacity to self advocate and lobby for legal protection
- Provide legal advice and court representation to refugees and asylum seekers.
- Programme work and report writing.
- Conduct regular fundraising for program sustainability.
- Bachelor’s degree in Law or equivalent qualification.
- Must be an Advocate of the High Court of Kenya with a current practising certificate
- At least two year professional working experience with a reputable human rights organization or law firm.
- MUST have Litigation Experience
- MUST have a practising certificate for 2018.
- Knowledge in Refugee Law and general protection of Persons of Concern will be an added advantage.
- Excellent written and verbal skills in English and Kiswahili are mandatory
- Good working knowledge of modern information, communication and technology systems
- Knowledge in advocacy and fundraising experience is an added advantage
2. VOLUNTEER LEGAL INTERNSHIP POSITION – NAIROBI BRANCH OFFICE
Kituo Cha Sheria is seeking to give opportunity to persons willing to volunteer their services as Legal Interns for a period of six months in the Forced Migration Programme, Nairobi office. This will be an opportunity to learn and gain experience in a busy work environment.
- Conducting outreach activities, mobilization and attending to clients
- Conducting comprehensive legal assessment.
- Contributing to the program’s proposal writing and reporting.
- Collaborating closely with legal officers in case management and follow up of clients.
- Participating in working groups as assigned.
- Any other task that may be assigned by the programme manager.
- Holder of an under graduate degree in Law from a recognized institution.
Skills and Competencies:
- Excellent IT skills with working knowledge of Microsoft office Tools.
- Must be able to work effectively and independently with minimum supervision.
- Excellent interpersonal and communications skills.
- Proven research and writing skills.
- Demonstrable commitment to social justice.
- Fluency in spoken and written English and Kiswahili.
- Ability to work under pressure
- Problem solving skills
- Clients focused
- Great attention to detail
- Respect for diversity
HOW TO APPLY:
Send your cover letter, detailed Curriculum Vitae and copies of the relevant testimonials, day telephone number and email address, addressed to:
KITUO CHA SHERIA (LEGAL ADVICE CENTER),
P.O. BOX 7483-00300
Only successful applicants will be contacted.
We Care for Justice www.kituochasheria.or.ke