Kituo Cha Sheria (KITUO) is a Non Governmental Organization (NGO) whose mission is to empower the poor and marginalized people to effectively access justice and realize their human and people’s rights through advocacy, networking, lobbying, legal aid and education, legal representation and research. KITUO seeks to recruit, in the Legal Aid and Education Program, dynamic, self driven and result oriented person.
LEGAL/PROGRAM OFFICER (Ref: KCS 15/LPO-NRB/APP) – NAIROBI OFFICE
Reporting to the Coordinator Legal Aid and Education Program, he/she will carry out the following:
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
- Provide legal advice and court representation to clients for single welfare and public interest cases
- Conduct community and prison mobile legal aid clinics.
- Conduct community sensitisation campaigns.
- Conduct research that enables KITUO to build evidence that will inform litigation.
- Legal awareness and education to community members.
- Helping communities to develop capacity to self advocate and lobby for legal protection
- Programme work and report writing.
- Conduct regular fundraising for program sustainability.
- Bachelor’s degree in Law or equivalent qualification.
- Must be an Advocate of the High Court of Kenya with a current practising certificate.
- At least two to three year professional working experience with a reputable human rights organization or law firm.
- MUST have Litigation Experience.
- MUST have a practising certificate for the year 2021.
- Excellent written and verbal skills in English and Kiswahili are mandatory
- Knowledge in advocacy and Fundraising experience is an added advantage
HOW TO APPLY:
Send your cover letter, 2 sample writings, detailed Curriculum Vitae and copies of the relevant testimonials, day telephone number and email address, addressed to:
KITUO CHA SHERIA (LEGAL ADVICE CENTER),
P.O. BOX 7483 00300
By email, to email@example.com by COB Wednesday 1st December, 2021.
Only successful applicants will be contacted.
Kituo Cha Sheria (KITUO) is the oldest legal aid and human rights organization in Kenya, East, Central and the Horn of Africa which envisions a just and equitable society for all. KITUO seeks to promote access to justice of poor and marginalized communities through direct legal services, capacity building of paralegals, advocacy, good governance, evidence-based research and legal awareness creation. KITUO is seeking to recruit a dynamic, self driven and result oriented person to fill in the following vacant position in the Head Office – Nairobi.
- PROGRAMME OFFICER – RESEARCH, MONITORING, EVALUATION AND LEARNING
Responsible to the Coordinator Research Communication and Knowledge management, the Officer will undertake evidence-based research projects from the early planning stages to project completion. S/He will assist in development of literature review, research design, data collection and analysis and writing in collaboration with the other research team members. S/He will support logistics of external research consultants and coordinate the research process during the course of the project. The Officer will also support monitoring, evaluation and learning of organizational programmes in line with the institutional MEARL framework.
Key duties and responsibilities include:
- Carrying out quantitative and qualitative data analysis of empirical and secondary data using quantitaive and qualitative software such as Excel and/or SPSS.
- Organising, designing and carrying out fieldwork, often with marginalised or vulnerable people, in different locations and contexts across the country.
- Conducting and supporting external research consultants in undertaking research methods such as individual interviews, focus group discussions, site visits and or other methods for purposes of data collection.
- Carrying out extensive desk research related to the research project.
- Working closely with others as part of a team and with external stakeholders to manage relationships and deliver work.
- Producing high quality and varied research outputs for a range of audiences including policy briefs, research reports, journal articles, PowerPoint presentations etc as and where necessary.
- Ensuring all our research and MEARL work is participatory in nature including beneficiaries, peer organizations and researchers and partner organizations
- Ensuring that timelines and deadlines for research and M&E work is met in a timely manner. These include donor and institutional deadlines for monthly, activity and project narrative reports.
- Attend to any development partners’ meetings relating to respective projects.
- Working closely with the Coordinator Research Communication and Knowledge Management in research and MEARL for purposes of effectively documenting results, outcomes, outputs and lessons learnt from all programmes.
- Any other duties as required by the Coordinator Research Communication and Knowledge management in line with the grade of the post.
- Support fundraising and building of partnerships and networks for the Research, Communications and Knowledge Management.
- Develop grant proposals and assist in grant completion and submission processes.
Minimum Qualifications and Training: Bachelor’s Degree in either of the following fields Law, Anthropology, Social Science, Political Science, Project Planning and Management and Sociology or equivalent qualifications with relevant experience in conducting empirical research in a university, charitable institution or consultancy. A Master Degree will be an added advantage.
Relevant Experience and Skills: The successful candidate must demonstrate a track record of success in participatory action research and M&E work for a minimum of two (2) years. The following experiences are essential: Designing quantitative and qualitiative research tools, quantitative and statistical data analysis, including of large existing data sets, using Excel and/or SPSS and knowledge of use of qualitative data analysis approaches. Experience as support or lead consultant in conducting participatory action research, field study and conducting qualitative analysis. Experience in desk review, knowlege management and M&E within an NGO context. Knowledge of a range of reserach methodologies, ability to grasp complex concepts and debates quickly and to engage with these effectively through research. Evidence of having worked in group settings and / or as part of a cross-organisational or inter-organisational team. Ability to communicate effectively – in writing and in person – about research findings to a range of audiences. Evidence of having delivered or contributed to the delivery of high quality social research outputs. Experience in documentation and knowledge management including application of results-based management framework.
Applications including a detailed curriculum vitae with at least three referees and copies of relevant testimonials, day telephone number, email address and an indication of present and expected remuneration should be addressed to;
THE EXECUTIVE DIRECTOR
KITUO CHA SHERIA – LEGAL ADVICE CENTRE
P.O. Box 7483 – 00300
The application must reach us on or before 10th October 2021. Only short-listed applicants will be contacted.