Kituo Cha Sheria (KITUO) is a Non Governmental Organization (NGO) whose mission is to empower the poor and marginalized people to effectively access justice and realize their human and people’s rights through advocacy, networking, lobbying, legal aid and education, legal representation and research. KITUO seeks to recruit a dynamic, self driven and result oriented person to fill in the following vacant position:-
COORDINATOR, LEGAL AID & EDUCATION PROGRAM (Ref: KCS/LPC-NRB/APP)
Responsible to the Executive Director for strategic planning, budgeting, co-ordinating, developing and implementing the legal aid programme aimed at providing legal services to qualified individuals and community groups. Also responsible for fundraising for programmes and developing improved systems and procedures as well as monitoring and evaluating programme activities and individual performance against set targets. Other duties include report writing, team building, providing effective leadership and implementing on-the-job training to improve employee performance.
Minimum Qualifications and Training: Masters of (LLM) degree, with relevant training in human rights and access to justice. Adequate knowledge of land, housing, labour and public interest issues or equivalent qualifications would be an added advantage.
Must be an advocate of the High Court of Kenya with a current practising certificate.
Relevant Experience: Must have been an Advocate of the High Court of Kenya for a minimum of four (4) years. The successful candidate must demonstrate a track record of successful and success in managing a legal and human rights function for a minimum of one (1) year. Experience of working with a civil society organisation and knowledge of the NGO sector is an added advantage.
Skills: Must be proactive with strong communication, interpersonal and influential skills. Also must be proficient in using word processing and spreadsheet computer packages.
Key duties and responsibilities include:
- Developing appropriate fundraising strategies as well as sustainable alternative revenue sources
- Developing appropriate public relations strategies designed to promote KITUO’s image and relations with all stakeholders.
- Reviewing the operations and results of the organisation and providing periodical reports to the Executive Director.
- Reviewing the effectiveness of legal services such as the preliminary screening of clients, provision of legal advice, counselling clients and drafting pleadings, court representation as well as dealing with client complaints.
- Develop and implement appropriate workflow systems and processes for clients accessing services at KITUO, appropriate feedback and monitoring and evaluation system to ensure effectiveness and institutional learning
- Developing a strategic plan and budget as well as outlining key activities to be undertaken to expand the network of pro-bono advocates throughout Kenya.
- Developing work schedules and allocating cases in order to ensure that volunteer advocates receive a continuous flow of court cases for their action.
- Build and coordinate sustainable networks/partnerships with legal aid institutions, and actors in the administration of justice to enhance access to justice.
- Identify legal problems of public interest nature, research on them and develop multi-prong solutions therein, including but not limited to public/strategic/impact litigation.
- Develop strategies for addressing the systemic challenges facing the poor’s quest for justice
- Work in multi-disciplinary teams to monitor, document and seek redress for land, labor and housing-related human rights abuses
- Coordinate mobile legal aid clinics to enhance access to justice by people and communities facing legal problems, and who cannot reach KITUO.
- Develop and operationalize effective reporting mechanisms for the legal aid program.
Applications including a detailed curriculum vitae with at least three (3) referees and copies of relevant testimonials, day telephone number, email address and an indication of present and expected remuneration should be addressed to;
THE EXECUTIVE DIRECTOR
KITUO CHA SHERIA
(LEGAL ADVICE CENTRE)
P.O. BOX 7483 – 00300,
Ronald Ngala, Nairobi
The application must reach us on or before 28th August, 2017. Only short-listed applicants will be contacted.
We Care for Justice www.kituochasheria.or.ke