Kituo Cha Sheria, a leading Human Rights and Legal Aid non-governmental organization whose mission is to empower the poor and marginalized people to effectively access justice and realize their rights. This is done through advocacy, networking, lobbying, legal aid and education, representation and research. We are seeking to recruit a dynamic, self driven and result oriented person to fill in the position of legal interpreter at our Pangani Office in Nairobi.
1. SOMALI INTERPRETER – FORCED MIGRATION PROGRAMME (FMP) PANGANI OFFICE
Responsible to the Coordinator of Forced Migration Programme (FMP) at Kituo cha Sheria Pangani office.
The Somali Interpreter is a part of the Kituo Cha Sheria-Forced Migration Programme (FMP) team. On an occasional, on-call basis, s/he will provide interpretation services to Kituo Cha Sheria-Forced Migration Programme clients. S/he may provide interpretation for services as specified by Reception and legal services guidelines, and in other instances when a client requests an interpreter.
Serve as communication liaison between staff and clients to ensure services are client-centered.
- Support Kituo Cha Sheria staff by relaying important deadlines, instructions, questions, and other communications to clients in their native language.
- Assist clients in communicating any concerns, questions, or other information to staff when clients are not fluent or comfortable speaking English.
- Translate documents from English into clients’ native language as requested.
- Aid staff in building client rapport, understanding cultural context and identifying approaches that are most likely to result in successful client interactions.
- Attend required training and contribute to a culture of professionalism among Kituo Cha Sheria staff interpreters.
- Other duties as assigned.
Minimum Qualifications and Training and Relevant Experience
Must be fluent in both spoken and written ENGLISH, KISWAHILI, and SOMALI languages.
- Must have good communication and interpersonal skills as well as computer skills.
- Must also have the ability to work in multidisciplinary project teams.
Key duties and responsibilities include:
- Screening of clients at the office, out posting and legal aid mobile clinics.
- Interpreting Somali language and translating documents written in Somali to Swahili and English.
- Translating documents provided by refugees or caseworkers in relation to their cases.
- Advise persons of concern to address common problems that affect their wellbeing.
- Assist in intervening for arrested and detained persons of concern at police stations, cells, prisons and other lawful detention facilities.
- Assist in training refugee community groups on protection law and other issues
- Assist in the mobilization and organization of refugees, asylum seekers, stateless persons as well as other persons of concern,
- Travel with legal officers who are attending court matters outside Nairobi for interpretation and other assistance needed.
- Update or assist clients the progress of their cases in relation to their files and clerical duties as needed.
- Report writing.
Please send, deliver and email written applications including a detailed curriculum vitae and copies of relevant testimonials with telephone number, email address and current remuneration. The applications should be addressed to:
THE HUMAN RESOURCE MANAGER
KITUO CHA SHERIA – LEGAL ADVICE CENTRE.
OLE ODUME ROAD OFF ARWINGS KODHEK ROAD
P.O. BOX 7483-00300 NAIROBI
The application must reach us on or before 15th January 2019. Only successful applicants will be contacted.
2. LEGAL ASSISTANT (Ref: KCS/LA-FMP/APP)
Reporting to the Program Coordinator and based in Kituo Cha Sheria’s Coast Regional office – MOMBASA, he/she will be responsible for:
- Providing legal advice to refugees and asylum seekers.
- Conducting research that enables KITUO to build evidence base that informs litigation strategies.
- Legal awareness and education to refugees and asylum seekers in protection matters.
- Counselling and sensitising refugee communities on building a factual basis for their cases.
- Programme work and report writing.
- Bachelor’s degree in Law or equivalent qualification.
- Must have accomplished the Advocates Training Program at the Kenya School of Law
- Previous knowledge in Refugee Law and general protection of Persons of Concern will be an added advantage.
- Excellent written and verbal skills in English and Kiswahili are mandatory
- Good working knowledge of modern information, communication and technology systems
HOW TO APPLY:
Send your cover letter, detailed Curriculum Vitae and copies of the relevant testimonials, day telephone number and email address, addressed to:
THE HUMAN RESOURCE MANAGER,
KITUO CHA SHERIA (LEGAL ADVICE CENTER)
P.O. BOX 7483 00300
Only successful applicants will be contacted.
We Care for Justice www.kituochasheria.or.ke