JOB DESCRIPTION:- PARALEGAL COORDINATOR
EMPLOYER:- Kituo Cha Sheria and Citizen Justice Network
About Kituo Cha Sheria-KITUO
Kituo Cha Sheria – “KITUO” is the oldest, most experienced legal aid providing and human rights non-governmental organization in Kenya, and perhaps, across the East and Horn of Africa region. It exists to empower the poor and marginalized and to enhance equity and access to justice for all.
About Citizen Justice Network-CJN
The Citizen Justice Network (CJN) is an award-winning media innovation. It builds journalism capacity for paralegals to develop stories on social justice issues in under-reported areas. CJN provides technology, editorial guidance and connects paralegals with local community radio stations so they can broadcast their stories in African languages.
CJN has been developing this project in South Africa for two years. The project is in the process of being duplicated in Kenya, in partnership with KITUO, with exciting results. This is your chance to be part of this new development.
This is the perfect position for someone with a background in media or communications and a passion for human rights. Ideally we are looking for a person who understands the community media landscape in Kenya, particularly radio. This person should have an understanding of non-commercial media that serves the public through quality programming and are not focused exclusively on financial gain.
The Ideal Candidate must have:
- An understanding of the law of Kenya including recent legislative and policy developments
- An understanding of the emerging issues of public interest
- An understanding of the community radio sector
- Experience writing complicated issues in a simplified way
- Experience in training and leading Paralegals/ paralegal groups
- Contacts and appropriate networks in the legal profession
- Experience in conducted Legal Aid and giving legal Information
The Main Requirements for the position:
- A Bachelor’s degree in media, communications, journalism, or another relevant field.
- At least two years of working experience within the media and communications industry
- A track record in advocacy, activism or community work.
- An ability to visit radio stations around the country to build relationships.
- An ability to communicate frequently with South Africa over Skype.
- An ability to write radio scripts to be used on air.
- An ability to help set up guests to appear on the radio.
- A track record to be a self-starter and reliable.
- A track record of being able to take complicated ideas and make them easy for the general public to understand.
The contract for this position will be until the end of 2018. An extension beyond this will depend on funding and performance.
Deadline for applications: 10 June 2018.
We Care for Justice www.kituochasheria.or.ke